FAQ - Product


What is the difference between thermal and Piezo printers?    
Thermal inkjet (also called bubble jet) has a print head that projects the ink droplets by heating the ink, while Piezo printers eject the ink by an electric impulse to a piezo transducer.

What is the difference between water based, pigment, and solvent inks?
Most of the inkjet printers use water as the ink carrier.  Aqueous inks are either dye based, or pigment based.  Solvent inks contain alcohol instead of water and edge their way into the media and produce a more permanent image.  Aqueous inks are used in thermal printers while the solvent inks are used in Piezo printers.

What factors affect the drying time of the image?
First check the compatibility of the media to see if it is recommended for the printer and ink.  Other factors affecting the drying time are high humidity, low temperature, and too high an ink level.

What are the factors that influence image life?   The best way to achieve maximum print life is to use pigment ink.  Other factors affecting print life are exposure to light, temperature and humidity, and contaminants in the air such as ozone.  To extend the life, laminates with UV inhibitors should be used.

What are large format prints?
Generally, anything larger 24in wide.

How do I handle Ink Jet media before and after printing?

  • Store unused media in original packaging
  • Allow media to acclimate to the environment before use.
  • Avoid touching the print side by handling the edges of the roll
  • Avoid any finishing until prints are completely dry
  • Do not allow the printed side to come in contact with itself

What if my product is damaged in transit?
No problem. PlotterPaper.com is here to support you. Simply call us 800-205-6783 to get an “RMA” number (this number is used to track your returning product and to identify that when it is received in our warehouse that it is returned per your direction). To help us help you in quality timing, please, call ahead to qualify an RMA number for the returning product. More details here.

If I have trouble with the Online Store is there a live person to talk to?
YES. Representatives are standing by, here in our offices, during M-Friday business hours (9am – 6pm) EST time zone. ALWAYS you will find a live person to help you with any product or issue. 800-205-6783

What is an OEM Toner?
OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. An OEM toner or ink cartridge is made by the same manufacturer who made your printer. For instance, an OEM toner cartridge for your Hewlett-Packard LaserJet printer is made by Hewlett-Packard.
A remanufactured toner cartridge contains parts from cartridges that have previously been in service.
A compatible ink cartridge is one manufactured by a third-party source, not the OEM.

Is there a customer service representative I could contact?
You can contact us via email or use our 1-800-205-6783 number (between the regular business hours of 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. EST, Mon-Fri). We would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have. You will find us not trying to hide from you.  We have the phones covered every business day. (This is a priority with us)

What should I do if I receive a wrong order?
It is very unlikely this would happen as we physically inspect each order before it is shipped, but if it does, please contact a customer service representative so we may correct this immediately. You will not be responsible for the charge of the second shipment.

Product Questions:

Will your media/paperwork with my printer?
Click Here (coming soon) to view our compatibility chart. And remember that all our design specks are matched and exceed some areas of HP, Epson, Canon and others.

What affects image quality?
There are numerous factors that affect image quality among these are but not limited to separation of the process ink colors of cyan, magenta and yellow as well as black; coated or non-coated media; ink level; print resolution; image line edge; grayscale response and image permanence.

Can dye based inks be used on outdoor media?
Yes, you can but the image life will fade quicker.  To extend the image life use a laminate.

What are the differences between cast vinyl and calendared vinyl?
Cast vinyl is made by a process of pouring liquid vinyl into a mold to a desired thickness and let it harden.  Calendared vinyl is a process by squeezing vinyl material between two pressurized rollers to the thickness desired.  Cast vinyl is more expensive but also dimensionally more stable.  Most vinyl media is calendared vinyl.

How do I prevent cockling in uncoated bond media?
Reduce the ink level to a degree that prevents cockling.  Alternative, use a heavier paper weight.

What is the cause of photo base media curling?
Lack of humidity causes paper media to curl.  The environment needs to be controlled between 30-70% humidity.

What should I do if profiles are not available for my media?
General profiles are available in your RIP or on your printer.  Find a media setting corresponding to the media you are using and tweak from there.

How can I prevent banding on my print?
Banding can occur by using a media that is not compatible with the printer and ink combination.  The printer needs also be calibrated for a particular media.  Printer must also be set for the best profile.  Banding can also be caused by clogged nozzles on the print head.

How can I get maximum durability from my inkjet print?
The maximum image life can be obtained by using pigment inks with a recommended media.  To further extend the life use a UV laminate.

Are there any special requirements for the media waste? 
Generally, there are none.  However, it is always best to dispose of waste in accordance with local requirements.

Do I need Material Safety Data Sheets for media? 
No Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) are required for media.  Media is considered an article which is exempt from MSDS.

How can I use clear film on the HP 500, 2000, or 3000 printers?
These printers have an optical sensor that cannot sense the clear film.  A white paper interleave is required for the printer to sense the edge of the clear film.